The other day I noticed my bananas were getting a tad bit old and squishy….
Then I thought…
I SHOULD MAKE BANANA BREAD!
But plain banana bread is boring…
I LOVE CARAMELIZED NUTS!
I DECIDED TO MIX THE TWO TOGETHER.
[Sorry for the all caps, it was needed that I yell at you.]
So without any further ado, I give you….
Caramelized Pecan Banana Bread
For the caramelized pecans:
1 TBS butter (I used Earth Balance)
2 TBS sugar
1 cup pecan halves
2 TBS ground cinnamon
For the bread:
1 c whole-wheat flour
1 c unbleached flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 large, overripe bananas
2 egg whites
3/4 c sugar
1/4 c coconut or almond milk (you could also use regular or fat-free milk, if you’re using fat-free add a little bit of lemon juice so the milk thickens)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350. Spray a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. For the caramelized pecans: Melt the butter over medium heat, slowly stirring in the sugar and cinnamon, and finally the pecans. Mix until evenly coated and the pecans look shiny.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, mash the bananas until smooth. Add the egg whites, sugar, milk, vanilla and cinnamon and stir to mix well. Pour the banana mixture into the well in the dry ingredients and fold together until blended.
4. Fold the caramelized pecans into the batter.
5. Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Lick the spoon.
6. Bake until a toothpick in the center of the bread comes out clean ~55-60 minutes. Cool for ten minutes or put in the fridge (I personally like it cold with peanut butter slathered on top). Enjoy!
I ate it so fast, I never got a pretty picture of a slice with peanut butter on it :(. But I will make it again! And this time I want to try making it with a crumbly cinnamon topping! Mmmm sounds to die for right?!
Let me know if you try this! Or if you have any favorite banana bread mix-ins or recipes!